Re: NAEA (Pam/Nancy)Culture presentation speakers..

From: Rdunkelart
Date: Thu Apr 06 2000 - 10:08:29 PDT

    In a message dated 4/6/00 9:02:48 AM Pacific Daylight Time, astroboy
    writes:

    << But do you
     have international speakers to present from their on indigenous
     culture??? >>

    No - none that I can think of - In the last five years we.ve only had local
    Missouri people speak at our conventions - I'm sure I;ll be corrected if I;ve
    forgotten someone
    But if accurate cultural representation is an issue and it should be - maybe
    our conventions should
    invite/hire people from a particular culture to present lessons. Would
    entail alot
    of research and probably money!!! Perhaps those artists from other cultures
    with
    a speakers bureau/organization could let us know who and what is available
    and how costly it would be. I can understand how different cultures can be
    offended - in
    the case of the Native American - how often do we see them represented by a
    teepee? As I understand that was used by a certain nomadic Native American
    and
    not all Native Americans lived in them. I;ve probably stuck my foot in my
    mouth now
    so will stop talking. Roberta

    ---