NAEA letdown?

From: mscurfield (mscurfield)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2000 - 07:33:11 PDT

    Every year when I go to the national conference, there are wonderful things that happen and always a few disappointments. I try to balance my time between free sessions, paid workshops, trips to the local art museums and time to talk to the vendors. The first evening when I arrived I had dinner with Maggie White, Susan Menkes, Ken Schwab and his roommate, Bob, from the ArtEdNet group. We compared notes about which sessions we wanted to attend.

    The afternoon at the Getty Museum was fabulous! I had wanted to attend a session on the National Board Certification, but once I got out to the museum, knew that I would want to stay til the last possible minute. I was not disappointed by paper sculpture/pop-up book workshops by Ellen McMillan and Ann Ayers, Clem Pennington and Carol Gensley. Both workshops by Nancy Walkup and Pam Stephens--Tesselations and Bridging the Curriculum--were excellent, as I knew they would be. The trick is to send in your registration as soon as possible to get in on the hands-on workshops.

    I didn't attend as many of the free sessions that thrilled and excited me, but sometimes that's just the luck of the draw.

    Our paid tour to the Norton Simon Museum in Pasadena was changed from Tuesday morning to Sunday morning. This was probably my most frustrating experience. We were shuttled into groups for docent led tours. My mission was to take slides of their outstanding collection, but we HAD to stick with the docent. I took slides anyway as inobtrusively as possible.

    On the last day, Tuesday, my colleague and I took the bus to the Los Angeles County Museum of Art where we were admitted free with our conference badges. At each of these museums--LACMA, the Norton Simon and the Getty, I wished I had at least twice as much time! And there were many more museums that I didn't even get to.

    I'll bet anyone who went to the SHIP drawing by the vendors instead of the Getty made out like a bandit! There was probably a prize--or two--for anyone there. I didn't get to spend nearly as much time with the vendors this year as usual, but talked to Dina Cooper from Sanford at the Ice Cream Social and got a hug from Judy at Sax.

    It's always a whirlwind five days and takes me a couple of days to rest up after I get home.

    ---