Re: NAEA story...

From: Rdunkelart
Date: Thu Apr 06 2000 - 06:37:39 PDT

    In a message dated 4/5/00 10:00:58 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
    bkramer.us writes:

    << Australians didn't like for the "Americans" to be
     teaching about their culture. >>

    I hear/read this from people of other cultures. Do they wish our school
    children to
    remain ignorant and prejudiced against others because they have no way of
    understanding their differences. Great understanding is gained through art
    experiences. Wish the objecties would write the "perfect book" for us to
    teach from and then we wouldn't (maybe) make them so upset by perhaps -
    inadvertently-
    teaching the wrong information. Someday our children might be working
    alongside or interacting with people of other cultures in the "world arena"
    and they need to know something about the "people of the world" to interact
    intelligently. I don;t just teach about other cultures in my art room because
    "it is fun" I teach about other cultures to prepare my art kids for real
    life!!! (guess I;m probably preaching to the choir here) Roberta

    ---