NAEA story...

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer.us)
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 20:30:13 PDT

    from: Bunki Kramer (bkramer.us)
    Los Cerros Middle School
    968 Blemer Road
    Danville, CA 94526
    ************************

    > My experiences at the NAEA conference were largely positive. There were a
    > few sour grapes in some of my audiences, but those types are to be expected
    > when large groups gather.....Pam

    ************************

    Here's another story. The next-to-the-last hour (of the last day) of
    workshops, a young teacher (with a Master's) was giving a workshop on
    Aboriginal painting. It was a great lecture with equally great samples and a
    large handout which even included receipes to make Australian snacks for the
    kids during the unit. Three-fourths of the way through, a man entered the
    workshop and sat down a couple of seats from me. He listened for 10 minutes
    and at a lull in the conversation, preceded to inform us all that she had
    misspelled some Aborginal words, had some figures wrong, etc. and pretty
    much told her that Australians didn't like for the "Americans" to be
    teaching about their culture. Needless to say, when he opened his mouth, the
    accent was obvious. It was a pretty heart-stopping moment for us all. The
    presenter handled it beautifully but all-in-all it was not a good place to
    be in and I know she was embarrassed. Toodles.....

    ---