How to make the conference better

From: PGStephens
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 18:38:03 PDT

    My experiences at the NAEA conference were largely positive. There were a
    few sour grapes in some of my audiences, but those types are to be expected
    when large groups gather. For example ...

    If you can believe it, someone complained about the image on one postcard in
    a packet of postcards I provided to them in a workshop. As I tried to
    explain some complex rules for an art game, another teacher in a different
    workshop muttered under her breath "get on with it." I was astounded at that
    rudeness, but what can you say? Do you think that that teacher would put up
    with such rudeness from her own students? I doubt it. And the real clincher
    was the teacher who insisted on staying in one of my "for pay" workshops when
    she had not paid the fee. How fair is that to those who do pay, especially
    when Crystal Productions had underwritten the workshop and I was supplying
    resources worth many dollars more than the fee that was paid?

    Overlooking this kind of poor behavior (what we call being ugly in the South)
    is what I did. It is usually a pleasure to be around art teachers --
    regardless if they dislike the kinds of resources I supply, if they mutter
    thoughtless remarks, or if they become angry over something out of my
    control. Three rude teachers do not an organization make!

    But, here's what I really want to say:
    In discussing this idea of what was and was not presented at the conference,
    NAEA is no more than the sum of the members. It is each member's obligation
    to contribute to the success of the organization as well as to the success of
    the annual conference. If the presentations and workshops this year did not
    meet your needs, then you need to change that. You need to submit proposals
    to present the types of workshops that you want to attend. Almost all of the
    presentations and workshops are presented by NAEA members. I applaud
    everyone who takes the time to submit proposals and present. Just be
    prepared for those occasional sour grapes.

    And by the way ... congratulations to Sharon Henneborn from NJ. Your
    acceptance speech at the elementary luncheon was inspirational.

    Pam
    http://www.ARTeaches.com

    ---