Re: Curatorial exercises for students -- any out there?

From: DeDeRuss
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 14:46:18 PDT

    elhires writes:

    << interested in how these kinds of long-term exercises engage students in
     both the artwork itself and the concepts of selection, interpretation, and
     exhibition. >>

    I work in an independent school which has a professional art gallery.
    Currently our 8th grade will be entering a piece of art work for display at
    an "8th Grade Show" which will be held at the end of the school year,
    coinciding with graduation. The students are to bring in one of their
    paintings, drawings, etc., created by them (not necessarily in school art
    class) which must be framed and ready to hang. They will be assisting the
    curator with the hanging and have formed a committee for this purpose. So
    far, most of our students have elected to participate and we feel this will
    be something we will do every year. This is the first year we are featuring
    student work.

     We have 6 shows a year which feature professional artists. We have an
    opening which the students, parents and community is invited to. Our school
    receives 25% of proceeds from anything sold and the artist is contracted to
    come to school as a visiting artist for one day to give "Artists Talks" to
    the children. Normally the artists give 3 talks to the children in the
    gallery grouped by class (k-3 4-5 and 6-8th grades) Very often the artists
     does demonstrations. This is enjoyed by the whole school.
    I'm not sure this is what you are interested in for your research, but it is
    a small aspect of our ongoing art exhibits.
    Diana Russo
    Chapin School
    Princeton, NJ
    http://www.chapinschool.org/