RE: Refugee children showcase their art

From: Rosa Juliusdottir (rojul)
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 18:54:40 PDT

    Yes I was also very surprised to see someone answer Lawrence´s(Larry)
    letter like this.
    >You all know that almost all boys do this kind of art when given free choice;
    >certainly in my classes in this country and even those who have only, maybe,
    >seen it on TV.
    >Artie
    I think we must never under estimate the value of art creation for everyone
    and maybe even more especially those who have experienced first hand
    something atrocious like war. Boys that come from regular life in our
    western world may draw things they see in movies, computer games etc. but
    it will never be the same reasons behind their creations and to them it
    really is just a "game" not reality.
    I have had to spend considerable time this winter on discussion with my
    eleven years old students who seem to want to draw the "big mushroom" any
    chance they get. It was not until I read to them real accounts of the
    actual bombing on Hiroshima and after quite an open discussion they started
    to see the horror and seriousness of the matter. I think it is our duty to
    hold up a mirror to the reality and horror of war to our students.
    Best regards from the far north,
    Rosa

    ---