re: interviews

From: Teri Mason (terily)
Date: Tue Apr 04 2000 - 08:01:48 PDT

    Donna,
      I'd be sure and mention "integration" with core subjects. That is a
    real important buzzword now, and it is something, I think, that
    naturally occurs in art. Point out how you integrate math and history,
    as well as multiculturalism. Also, they will want to know how you are
    with discipline. One important question for YOU to ask is what is the
    school-wide discipline policy (if any). I have always said that I will
    follow any plan/policy they already have in place. If they don't have
    one, I use the baseball analogy. I ask nicely the first time for the
    behavior to change, then they get one more request (or 2nd strike) and
    the 3rd time I speak to that same child in one period, they are "out"
    which means a referral. So far, in two years at this school, I have
    done about 3 referrals. When you see the kids only 1 hr/week, it's hard
    to really get my goat.
      One other thing I feel is important to know is about the dress code.
    With my new principal, I let him know that I will be exposing the kids
    to many messy media, including paint, clay, papier mache, etc. I asked
    him how he felt about my wearing jeans pretty often, as long as I wore a
    neat top and the jeans were nice. He was fine with it, but some aren't,
    so be sure to ask!
    Good luck!!
    teri

    ---