Principal problem?

From: Tom Dempsey (finearts)
Date: Tue Apr 04 2000 - 01:11:40 PDT

    It seems that there is not a lot of joy in the principal's creation, as the
    process appears to be used to dominate, I guess that's where the joy is.
    She's got so much invested in the artwork that there is no room for
    discussion!

    Our daughter has plenty of opportunity at home to realize the joy of making
    things, being the child of artists and having access to materials. The
    other children in her school are the ones who are missing out, but, because
    they have never been exposed to artmaking in an organized way perhaps they
    are missing nothing? (rather they don't know what they are missing)

    The work that we do here is mostly with artists 18 years and older via our
    summer programs but clearly there is room for some elementary level (and
    above) interaction. It is such a delicate issue at the school it would be
    better to initiate some workshops on our own turf.

    Join us in July for a close-up!

    Tom
    Island Center for the Arts
    Skopelos 37003 Greece
    http://www.users.otenet.gr/~finearts
    university level programs in the arts on the island of Skopelos

    ---