Principal problem?

From: Tom (finearts)
Date: Sun Apr 02 2000 - 07:21:17 PDT

    Here’s an interesting situation for all you art educators out there.
    Our 8 year old daughter attends second grade at the local public school.
    There is no art education available in this school system.
    However, the Principal of the school cares very much about her own
    artwork, so much so that it is the only artwork one sees in the school
    outside of the classroom.

    The principal's artwork consists of paintings which are copies of
    illustrations from children’s storybooks gridded up to enormous size
    (150 cm x 200cm). There is one of a clothed Mama Cat sitting in a
    rocking chair reading a book to the clothed mice children clustered at
    her feet . Another is of two pure white swans gliding serenely over the
    glassy surface of a pond.

    I suppose that these works are presented as a benefit to the children,
    perhaps for inspiration and to help the children better understand the
    world around them through art.
    Perhaps there is a subliminal behavioral message which the students are
    meant to abide by.

    Many local parents are very impressed with the work and are thankful
    that the principal has taken the time and effort to decorate the school
    with her artwork. I think that it is weird. This is a delicate issue as
    the principal seems to have a lot of self-esteem invested in her
    artwork, to the exclusion of anyone else’s artwork.

    Have any of you similar experiences?

    Tom
    Island Center for the Arts
    Skopelos 37003 Greece
    www.users.otenet.gr/~finearts
    university level programs in the arts on the island of Skopelos

    ---