Re: new topic (sunmmer school)

From: Bicyclken
Date: Mon Apr 03 2000 - 18:06:00 PDT

    I did a summer school session with a friend of mine and we team taught a
    group of student we called the Art Honors program. This class was limited to
    30 students from all over our district. After the first year we had to have
    portfolio reviews and this became a place for all the elite students to meet.

    It was thru this class that we experimented with innovative projects and
    experimental things that tested these students. They in turn helped us
    develop projects that we do in our classes today. Sadly we had to stop
    because they would not let classes be held in summer school that were
    enrichment but only remedial. It has been 10 years now.

    We had a 4 hour block of time and we had 2 projects going and a doodle page
    and a sketchbook assignment going. This was good because they would work on
    one thing for 2 hours, and then after the break they would work on the other.
     Every morning they would work on their doodle. This doodle was a watercolor
    mono-print and then inked into to find things and make shapes or? The doodle
    was done during the first 10-15 min. of class while we got materials out and
    demonstrations ready. By the end of the summer these were very interesting
    and we matted many of them as a finished product.

    The kids that did this summer session were always the most turned on during
    the regular sessions and many teachers would ask us "What did you do to
    Bobby/Jane, I can't seem to stop them they are so energized." They liked the
    class because it was concentrated, fun, challenging, and they were able to be
    singled out as the best in the schools. This is just my experience with
    summer programs.

    Ken Schwab
    San Jose CA

    ---