Re:Photoshop and Arcimboldo

From: Teri Brudnak (tbrudnak)
Date: Sun Apr 02 2000 - 13:29:50 PDT

    I recently gave my Digital Art students an assignment to do an illusion
    portrait in Photoshop. I have a few beginners in each class and the rest
    are continuing on from last semester.
    I had them take a good look at those wild portraits by Guiseppi
    Arcimboldo (excuse me if I misspell his name) made of flowers, fruit and
    many other things.
    Then I had them find a portrait of a famous person and use it as a
    bottom layer. They then proceeded to recreate the face in a top layer by
    cutting, pasting and copying textures and shapes from pictures of fruit,
    leaves, gemstones and a lot of other shapes. I have a lot of stock photo
    cds and clip art books. The rubber stamp tool got a work out. They
    learned a lot about textures and adjusting for values. The photo layer
    is then deleted and they can put in another background.
    I had no idea they would love this project--never attemped it
    myself--until we were ready to do it. The finished ones look amazing. My
    collage was of Bob Dylan made of leaves. I will try and post some on our
    web site.

    I have aways wanted to use Arcimboldo as the inspiration for a project
    but little did I know where it would end up!!!!

    Teri Brudnak
    Corona del Mar High School
    Newport Beach, CA

    ---