Re: HELP_WRITING ACTIVITIES LINKED TO HUMANITIES NEEDED

From: The Austin's (whest177)
Date: Sun Apr 02 2000 - 19:29:55 PDT

    I must have missed your request before. For elementary, I often have them
    write a short story about their artworks - ex. Scarecrow painting - write as
    if you are the scarecrow sitting in the field, or the farmer who created the
    scarecrow, or the crow who ignores the scarecrow. Sometimes I will bring in
    an abstract work, such as a Miro, and have the kids write what kind of
    creature it is, and describe it's habitat. We also use graphic organizers to
    compare two artworks.
        High School - graphic organizers or detailed written descriptions on
    artworks for weekly writing. We also do a major art history research
    project. The written part has been done in a formal research paper, as well
    as creating a newspaper over the artist/time period (very successful). This
    year I'm having them create web pages over their research.
        I am also linking up with the English teacher to have my kids illustrate
    their poems. We did a similar project earlier by having the high school kids
    illustrate the second graders books that the 2nd graders created. The social
    studies teacher is having her Juniors interview local senior citizens, and I
    am having my Juniors illustrate those interviews.
    Michal

    > << I am trying to prepare a professional development lesson for teachers
    > showing
    > them great ideas on how to inspire kids to greater writing by using the
    > arts.
    > If you would be so kind, please send me ideas that have been tried and
    true
    > for you. I need them. I will be happy to share some I have gotten for you
    as
    > well. I JUST HAVE NOT GOTTEN ANY YET FROM ANYONE, SO I CAN'T SHARE THEM
    YET.
    > Thanks Thanks Thanks Thanks

    ---