Re: HELP_WRITING ACTIVITIES LINKED TO HUMANITIES NEEDED

From: Rdunkelart
Date: Sun Apr 02 2000 - 18:55:48 PDT

    Artemis420 writes:

    << ideas that have been tried and true >>

    Faith Ringgold books can be used as a way of talking about a childs life and
    drawing and writing about it. I;ve used her "Tar Beach" book where the kids
    fly over Harlem in their dreams. My art students draw themselves flying over
    Jefferson City or Russellville. We talk about what they would see if they
    could fly over their home or a special place and then they write about it -
    only a few paragraphs. After that we illustrate their story similiar to
    Ringgolds book - the children looking down on
    a city. We practice perspective and proportion. The edges are then quilted
    with
    wallpaper ala Ringgold's quilted edges. They turn out quite well and parents
    love
    them. Part of this idea was in Art and Activities magazine several years
    back.
    Hope this helps at least a little bit. Roberta

    ---