Re: SETTING UP A COMPUTER ARTS LAB

From: George Doros (doros)
Date: Sun Apr 02 2000 - 08:12:17 PDT

    I too am interested in receiving and sharing more information on computer
    labs.
    Last year we set up a pilot graphic design program for a Grade 11 course.
    The course was presented as a team teaching approach, meaning that I did all
    the art and another teacher ( who has the expertise in computers) did the
    computer end. This worked in several ways 1. my art room not having enough
    computers was able to tap into a fully set up computer lab. 2. the course
    was set up so that both areas (computer tech. & visual arts) complimented
    each others teaching.
    The course has doubled it's enrollment for next semester due to the interest
    it sparked with students.
    Just one example of how we worked the timetable. Students spent four weeks
    in each area then switched class. This was done twice. Therefore each
    group of students spent 8 weeks with each area.
    I taught all the elements and principles of design and then we applied it to
    the computer designs in the lab. An example that worked quite well was a
    logo design that was started with thumbnail ideas and developed into a final
    art presentation. This was then taken to the computer lab, scanned into the
    computer and polished up. A final print was taken and then used to develop
    a silk screen image. The screening was then done and paper and also on
    T-shirts.

    Click here for Free Video!!
    http://www.gohip.com/freevideo/