Summer Art Program

From: Laura McCoy (Laura_McCoy.ca)
Date: Sat Apr 01 2000 - 16:47:52 PST

    I've never started my own summer art program, but I did teach at one for a
    couple of years. I saw this as an opportunity to do things that I couldn't
    do in the regular classroom. The summer program had a limited number of
    students (max 15) per class and a volunteer assistant. Students were
    typically more motivated than you get in a regular class because they have
    chosen to be there (I teach middle school and though they are generally
    receptive to art, they do not have a choice about taking it so you are
    bound to get some kids who really hate art - of course, I always try to
    change their minds!). In the summer program, I did things that I can't do
    with a full class or don't have the budget for, such as trips to museums
    and galleries, sketching outdoors, photography projects, messy outdoor
    projects etc. I really enjoyed it. I think the kids paid about $150 for a
    week of full-day classes, and I was paid $25/hour. Teenage assistants were
    paid around $10/hour and did things with the kids at lunch and before and
    after classes, like games, movies etc.

    Laura

    ---