Re: plants and art/a couple ideas 4U

From: MaryAnn Kohl (maryann)
Date: Sat Apr 01 2000 - 15:50:51 PST

    Buerkle, Jennifer buerklej.fl.us 4/01/00 3:28 PM

    > request
    >to link plants and art

    Even with very young children, I like making two kinds of miniature
    gardens, in particular,
    Zen Gardens and Moribana Gardens.
    The Zen Garden is with sand that is combed to look like ripples in the
    sea, with big rocks placed in the sand...in a baking pan is good.
    Moribana is like a miniature word, with little plants, pathways,
    figurines, bridges, pools, and so on.
    Both projects are listed in a book I wrote called Global Art at your
    library, if you want to see the illustrations or something. Also, there
    are many free projects from this book at the publisher's website in their
    "free activities" area:
    http://www.ghbooks.com/getpage.cfm?file=/activity/18827.html&userid=1018571
    9

    I saw a thing in our newspaper today. This was cool. Kids choose a
    favorite painting and then they design a flower arrangement to "match" or
    enhance the painting. The example they showed was a painting called
    "Congo", very dark and jungle-y. The flower arrangement was very dark
    greens with some bright blossoms tucked deep in the greens. In a black
    pot.
    I think kids might really enjoy this.

    Hope this helps!
    MaryAnn Kohl