re: plants and art

From: Teri S. Mason (terily)
Date: Sat Apr 01 2000 - 07:05:59 PST

    Kyle,
      How about Georgia O'Keefe (flowers) or Henri Rousseau (jungle
    plants)? Those are just two that popped to mind...
      With O'Keefe, you could have them do the up-close, cropped off the
    page flowers, which could focus on the internal parts of the flower
    (pistil, stamen, etc). Or if you want leafy green plants, discuss
    Rousseau's work and have them paint a rainforest or jungle scene,
    focusing on the plant life (I do this with 4th grade because they study
    the rainforest layers & animals... great tie-in). I also pull in The
    Great Kapok Tree by Lynn Cherry, because it has awesome illustrations of
    rainforest plants & animals.

    teri

    ---