The J. Paul Getty Museum Education department has created this guide to help teachers and curriculum developers create successful arts-focused lessons.
Included are ideas for preparing lessons, a step-by-step guide for teaching visual arts for each grade level, and ideas for evaluation and assessment approaches.
This material is based on the Getty Museum Education department's approach to curricula, which is informed by national and California state content standards and current child development theory. We support classroom experiences that encourage students in all grades to:
- create art and reflect upon what they have made.
- seek and construct meaning through encounters with art.
- create narratives about artworks.
- understand the historical and cultural contexts of works of art.
- discover the significance and value of art in their lives.