|Sites of Hurtful Memory
The bomb-scarred headquarters of the Nazi Secret State Police Agency (Gestapo) in July 1945. From 1933 to 1945, the majority of the Nazi offices of terror—the Gestapo, the SS Reich Leadership, the Security Service of the SS, and the Reich Security Main Office—were located in the area of Berlin bounded by Prinz-Albrecht-Strasse, Wilhelmstrasse, and Anhalter Strasse. After the war, little was done to preserve what remained at the Prinz-Albrecht site, and by the mid-1950s the offices not destroyed in the war had been demolished. Photo: William Vandivert, TimePix.