b. 1686, d. 1766; master 1717 Paris
Jean-Baptiste Tilliard belonged to one of the most important families of menuisiers (joiners and chairmakers) working in Paris in the first half of the 1700s. Around 1730 he opened a workshop on rue de Cléry, then the manufacturing center for carved furniture. Tilliard was soon supplying the royal residences with suites of furniture, including those for the queen's apartments and the king's bedroom and cabinet at the palace of Versailles. He retired in 1764 when his son Jacques-Jean-Baptiste Tilliard took over his workshop. As both Jean-Baptiste and his son used the same stamp to identify their furniture, scholars occasionally have difficulty distinguishing between their works.
French, about 1750