These prints are the only remaining documents of the European Pavilions, built by the Qianlong emperor in Beijing between 1747 and 1783.
The 20 prints here were designed as a series of framed views linked by a promenade. They are sequenced from the southern entrance to the enclosure then west to east through the European Pavilions.
Yangquelong ximian (West facade of Aviary)
Engraving in The European Pavilions at the Garden of Perfect Clarity (Beijing, 1783–1786), pl. 6
Research Library, The Getty Research Institute