Manuel Álvarez Bravo, Mexican, 1902 - 2002
Open Content images tend to be large in file-size. To avoid potential data charges from your carrier, we recommend making sure your device is connected to a Wi-Fi network before downloading.
This image is available for download, without charge, under the Getty's Open Content Program.
Not currently on view
Daughter of the Dancers / Muchachita!
Manuel Álvarez Bravo (Mexican, 1902 - 2002)
Gelatin silver print
23.3 x 16.9 cm (9 3/16 x 6 5/8 in.)
© Colette Urbajtel/Archivo Manuel Álvarez Bravo, SC
With her back to the camera, a girl in a bright white cotton skirt peers into a circular black hole or window cut into a patterned wall with peeling paint. Her head is all but obscured by a wide-brimmed hat that echoes the shape of the portal. She stands on her toes ever so tentatively, her bare right foot overlapping her left as if she is trying to create her own stepping stair. Her right hand disappears into the void as she investigates the unseen contents within. This photograph by Manuel Alvarez Bravo establishes a contrast between her innocence and the fearful unknown.
Manuel Alvarez Bravo: Recuerdo de unos años (September 22 to December 6, 1992)
- The J. Paul Getty Museum, (Malibu), September 22 to December 6, 1992
Manuel Alvarez Bravo: Optical Parables (November 13, 2001 to February 9, 2003)
- The J. Paul Getty Museum at the Getty Center, (Los Angeles), November 13, 2001 to February 17, 2002
- Museo Nacional de Arte, (Mexico City), March 14 to June 2, 2002
- Walker Art Center, (Minneapolis), November 10, 2002 to February 9, 2003
Photographers of Genius (March 16 to July 25, 2004)
- The J. Paul Getty Museum at the Getty Center, (Los Angeles), March 16 to July 25, 2004