Charles Sheeler, American, 1883 - 1965
Open Content images tend to be large in file-size. To avoid potential data charges from your carrier, we recommend making sure your device is connected to a Wi-Fi network before downloading.
This image is available for download, without charge, under the Getty's Open Content Program.
Not currently on view
Side of a White Barn, Pennsylvania
Charles Sheeler (American, 1883 - 1965)
Gelatin silver print
19.4 x 24.4 cm (7 5/8 x 9 5/8 in.)
Lines and texture define this view of the side of a white barn. In the photographic rendering, the white barn is a soft gray, punctuated by knots in the wood and shadows cast by the uneven boards. In the lower right corner of the image, a small window, a fence, and a chicken standing atop a pile of hay add visual weight yet surrender to the repetitive, vertical domination of the structure. Like every other line, the horizontal line dividing the areas of wood and plaster is drawn without a straight edge.
Experimental Photography: The Painter-Photographer (July 5, 1989 to October 7, 1990)
- The J. Paul Getty Museum, (Malibu), July 5 to September 26, 1989
- Williams College Museum of Art, (Williamstown), July 28 to October 7, 1990
Arrows of Time: Photographs from the J. Paul Getty Museum (January 24 to April 2, 1995)
- Armand Hammer Museum of Art and Cultural Center at UCLA, (Los Angeles), January 24 to April 2, 1995
The American Tradition and Walker Evans (July 10 to October 28, 2001)
- The J. Paul Getty Museum at the Getty Center, (Los Angeles), July 10 to October 28, 2001
Photographers of Genius (March 16 to July 25, 2004)
- The J. Paul Getty Museum at the Getty Center, (Los Angeles), March 16 to July 25, 2004