Not currently on view
Man Ray (American, 1890 - 1976)
France (Place Created)
Gelatin silver print
12.1 × 9.5 cm (4 3/4 × 3 3/4 in.)
© Man Ray Trust ARS-ADAGP
"In the early days Gertrude Stein brought [artist] Juan Gris to my studio. He came prepared to be photographed with a high white stiff collar, as if for a family portrait," recalled Man Ray of the circumstance that led to this portrait. Indeed, Gris's stiff and formal pose implies that he was completely ill at ease with the prospect of having his likeness made.
A Practical Dreamer: The Photographs of Man Ray (October 27, 1998 to October 8, 2000)
- The J. Paul Getty Museum at the Getty Center (Los Angeles), October 27, 1998 to January 17, 1999
- Walker Art Center (Minneapolis), April 2 to June 25, 2000
- Art Gallery of Ontario (Toronto), July 13 to October 8, 2000
Man Ray Portraits (February 7 to September 22, 2013)
- National Portrait Gallery (London), February 7 to May 26, 2013
- Scottish National Portrait Gallery (Edinburgh), June 22 to September 22, 2013
Rosenthal, Mark, ed. Juan Gris (New York: Abbeville Press, 1983), p. 148.