Tray (plateau Courteille ou de chiffonière)

Object Details

Title:

Tray (plateau Courteille ou de chiffonière)

Artist/Maker(s):

Carcass by an imitator of Bernard II van Risenburgh (French, after 1696 - about 1766, master before 1730)

Porcelain painted by Charles-Nicolas Dodin (French, 1734 - 1803, active at Sèvres, France from 1754)

copied from an engraving by André Laurent (1708 - 1747)

Sèvres Manufactory (French, active 1756 - present)

Culture:

French

Place(s):

Sèvres France Paris France (Place created)

Date:

table about 1900; plaque 1761

Medium:

Painted oak carcass, with a top [removed] of soft paste porcelain, with a pink ground, polychrome enamel decoration and gilding; gilt bronze mounts

Dimensions:

67 x 34.6 x 28.3 cm (26 3/8 x 13 5/8 x 11 1/8 in.)

Credit Line:

Gift of J. Paul Getty

See more

See less

In 1758 the Sèvres porcelain manufactory introduced this shape, designed to be mounted onto a small table. The manufactory named the form, described in the Sèvres archives as a plateau de Courteille ou de chiffonière, after the marquis de Courteille, one of Louis XV's financiers, who represented the king's interest at Sèvres from 1751.

The Sèvres artist Charles-Nicolas Dodin copied the scene from a painting by François Boucher onto the plaque. The original painting was set into wood paneling above a door in an important Parisian townhouse, the Hôtel de Soubise. It became one of Boucher's most popular scenes in the 1700s, known through many prints that circulated widely throughout Europe.

Related Works
Provenance
1893

Possibly Miss H. Cavendish-Bentinck [offered for sale, Christie's, London, March 3, 1893, lot 123, unsold]

- 1913

Possibly John Cockshut [sold posthumously, Christie's, London, March 11, 1913, lot 92, to Harding]

Unknown, mounted to a table bearing the false stamp B.V.R.B.

Private Collection (England)

- 1949

Rosenberg & Stiebel, Inc. (New York City, New York), sold to J. Paul Getty, 1949.

1949 - 1970

J. Paul Getty, American, 1892 - 1976, donated to the J. Paul Getty Museum, 1970. Plaque removed from table in 1991.