Man Ray, American, 1890 - 1976
Open Content images tend to be large in file-size. To avoid potential data charges from your carrier, we recommend making sure your device is connected to a Wi-Fi network before downloading.
This image is available for download, without charge, under the Getty's Open Content Program.
Not currently on view
Joseph Stella and Marcel Duchamp
Man Ray (American, 1890 - 1976)
United States (Place created)
Gelatin silver print
20.5 x 15.6 cm (8 1/16 x 6 1/8 in.)
© Man Ray Trust ARS-ADAGP
Nine years before the Museum of Modern Art opened in New York, the Société Anonyme, which Man Ray and Marcel Duchamp cofounded with collector Katherine Dreier in 1920, organized exhibitions of works by contemporary masters. Man Ray reluctantly served as photographer for the society, photographing affiliated artists as he did here in a double portrait of Duchamp and the American painter Joseph Stella. Man Ray craftily included himself in the picture by hanging his photograph Woman Smoking a Cigaretteabove their heads.
"...images that yet/ Fresh images beget...": Photographing Art (September 15 to November 15, 1987)
- The J. Paul Getty Museum, (Malibu), September 15 to November 15, 1987
Man Ray (Paris) (April 28 to June 29, 1998)
- Centre Georges Pompidou, (Paris), April 28 to June 29, 1998
A Practical Dreamer: The Photographs of Man Ray (October 27, 1998 to October 8, 2000)
- The J. Paul Getty Museum at the Getty Center, (Los Angeles), October 27, 1998 to January 17, 1999
- Walker Art Center, (Minneapolis), April 2 to June 25, 2000
- Art Gallery of Ontario, (Toronto), July 13 to October 8, 2000
Duchamp, Man Ray, Picabia (February 21 to September 21, 2008) (244)
- Tate Modern, (London), February 21 to May 26, 2008
- Museu Nacional d'Arte de Catalunya, (Barcelona), June 19 to September 21, 2008
The Colour of My Dreams: The Surrealist Revolution in Art (May 28 to October 2, 2011) (244)
- Vancouver Art Gallery, (Vancouver), May 28 to October 2, 2011
Man Ray Portraits (February 7 to September 22, 2013) (5)
- National Portrait Gallery (London), February 7 to May 26, 2013
The Little Review (Chicago: Margaret C. Anderson, 1922)
Ray, Man. Man Ray: Photographe, mit einer Einleitung von Jean-Hubert Martin (München: Schirmer/Mosel, 1982) pl. 57.