Man Ray, American, 1890 - 1976
Open Content images tend to be large in file-size. To avoid potential data charges from your carrier, we recommend making sure your device is connected to a Wi-Fi network before downloading.
This image is available for download, without charge, under the Getty's Open Content Program.
Not currently on view
Man Ray (American, 1890 - 1976)
Paris, France (Place created)
Gelatin silver print
28.1 x 22.9 cm (11 1/16 x 9 in.)
© Man Ray Trust ARS-ADAGP
In 1913 Tsuguharu Fujita left Tokyo for Paris, where he became a fixture in the artist's quarter of Montparnasse and a successful painter. Man Ray arrived seven years later and soon became the celebrated portraitist of Parisian artists during this period. Everyone who was anyone in Paris sat for Man Ray and was assured of a place in the Modernist pantheon because of the association with the famous photographer.
A Practical Dreamer: The Photographs of Man Ray (October 27, 1998 to October 8, 2000)
- The J. Paul Getty Museum at the Getty Center, (Los Angeles), October 27, 1998 to January 17, 1999
- Walker Art Center, (Minneapolis), April 2 to June 25, 2000
- Art Gallery of Ontario, (Toronto), July 13 to October 8, 2000
Man Ray Portraits (February 7 to September 22, 2013) (11)
- National Portrait Gallery (London), February 7 to May 26, 2013
- Scottish National Portrait Gallery, (Edinburgh), June 22 to September 22, 2013