Man Ray, American, 1890 - 1976
Open Content images tend to be large in file-size. To avoid potential data charges from your carrier, we recommend making sure your device is connected to a Wi-Fi network before downloading.
This image is available for download, without charge, under the Getty's Open Content Program.
Not currently on view
Prayer [La Priere]
Man Ray (American, 1890 - 1976)
negative 1930; print 1960
Gelatin silver print
24 x 18.1 cm (9 7/16 x 7 1/8 in.)
© Man Ray Trust ARS-ADAGP
Much of Man Ray's work was motivated by his desire to create a momentary shock in the viewer that would arrest rational thought processes and stimulate fresh ways of seeing. This piece, with its awkward juxtaposition of hands, feet, and buttocks, shocks the viewer in a more conventional sense as well. Man Ray admired the writings of the Marquis de Sade, and this image evokes that author's sexual predilections and strong opposition to clerical influence in secular matters.
Perpetual Motif: The Art of Man Ray (December 2, 1988 to January 7, 1990)
- National Museum of American Art, Smithsonian Institution, (Washington), December 2, 1988 to February 20, 1989
- Museum of Contemporary Art (Los Angeles), March 19 to May 28, 1989
- The Menil Collection, (Houston), June 30 to September 17, 1989
- Philadelphia Museum of Art, (Philadelphia), October 14, 1989 to January 7, 1990
A Practical Dreamer: The Photographs of Man Ray (October 27, 1998 to October 8, 2000)
- The J. Paul Getty Museum at the Getty Center, (Los Angeles), October 27, 1998 to January 17, 1999
- Walker Art Center, (Minneapolis), April 2 to June 25, 2000
- Art Gallery of Ontario, (Toronto), July 13 to October 8, 2000
The Surrealist Muse: Lee Miller, Roland Penrose and Man Ray (February 25 to June 15, 2003)
- The J. Paul Getty Museum at the Getty Center, (Los Angeles), February 25 to June 15, 2003
Twilight Visions: Surrealism, Photography, and Paris (September 10, 2009 to May 9, 2010)
- Frist Center for the Visual Arts, (Nashville), September 10, 2009 to January 3, 2010
Convergences: Selected Photographs from the Permanent Collection (July 8 to October 19, 2014)
- The J. Paul Getty Museum at the Getty Center, (Los Angeles), July 8 to October 19, 2014
Man Ray - Human Equations: A Journey from Mathematics to Shakespeare (February 7, 2015 to January 23, 2016)
- The Phillips Collection (Washington, D.C.), February 7 to May 10, 2015
Schwarz, Arturo. Man Ray, Carte Varie e Variabili, exh. cat. (Milano: Gruppo Editoriale Fabbri, 1983) pl. 188.
Krauss, Rosalind E. and Jane Livingston. L'Amour Fou: Photography and Surrealism (Washington, D.C.: Corcoran Gallery of Art; New York: Abbeville Press, 1985)