Man Ray, American, 1890 - 1976
Open Content images tend to be large in file-size. To avoid potential data charges from your carrier, we recommend making sure your device is connected to a Wi-Fi network before downloading.
This image is available for download, without charge, under the Getty's Open Content Program.
Not currently on view
Electricity - Kitchen (Electricite - Cuisine)
Man Ray (American, 1890 - 1976)
19.7 x 26 cm (7 3/4 x 10 1/4 in.)
© Man Ray Trust ARS-ADAGP
In 1931 the Paris electric company CPDE commissioned Man Ray to produce a series of images promoting the personal uses of electricity. The resulting portfolio, Électricité, included pictures of the uses of electricity in each room of a house, as in Cuisine (Kitchen). The whimsical print lent a familiarity and friendliness to the mysterious power marketed by CPDE.
The Électricité portfolio included ten Rayographs reproduced as photogravures. The company released it in an edition of five hundred for distribution to top CPDE executives and special customers.
L'Amour Fou: Photography and Surrealism (September 14, 1985 to October 5, 1986)
- The Corcoran Gallery of Art, (Washington), September 14 to November 17, 1985
- San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, (San Francisco), December 13, 1985 to February 1, 1986
A Practical Dreamer: The Photographs of Man Ray (October 27, 1998 to October 8, 2000)
- The J. Paul Getty Museum at the Getty Center, (Los Angeles), October 27, 1998 to January 17, 1999
- Walker Art Center, (Minneapolis), April 2 to June 25, 2000
- Art Gallery of Ontario, (Toronto), July 13 to October 8, 2000
In Focus: Tasteful Pictures (April 6 to August 22, 2010)
- The J. Paul Getty Museum at the Getty Center, (Los Angeles), April 6 to August 22, 2010
Krauss, Rosalind E. and Jane Livingston. L'Amour Fou: Photography and Surrealism (Washington, D.C.: Corcoran Gallery of Art; New York: Abbeville Press, 1985) p. 230.