This image is available for download, without charge, under the Getty's Open Content Program.
Open Content images tend to be large in file-size. To avoid potential data charges from your carrier, we recommend making sure your device is connected to a Wi-Fi network before downloading.
Not currently on view
Simon Bening (Flemish, about 1483 - 1561)
Bruges, Belgium (Place Created)
Tempera colors, gold paint, and gold leaf on parchment
Ms. Ludwig IX 19 (83.ML.115), fol. 328v
Leaf: 16.8 × 11.4 cm (6 5/8 × 4 1/2 in.)
The tenderness with which the mourners treat Christ's body evokes a sympathetic response in the viewer. Devotional treatises of the period would have asked the reader to imagine the kind of details seen in the miniature: the man on the left lowering Christ's legs into the tomb, the woman behind him who kisses his hand one last time, and Saint John comforting the Virgin.
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts (July 1 to September 30, 1984)
- The J. Paul Getty Museum (Malibu), July 1 to September 30, 1984
From Memling to Pourbus (August 14 to October 25, 1998)
- De Stedelijke Musea Van Brugge (Bruges), August 14 to October 25, 1998
Illuminating the Renaissance: The Triumph of Flemish Manuscript Painting in Europe (June 17, 2003 to February 22, 2004)
- The J. Paul Getty Museum at the Getty Center (Los Angeles), June 17 to September 7, 2003
- Royal Academy of Arts (London), November 29, 2003 to February 22, 2004
The Old Testament in Medieval Manuscript Illumination (June 1 to August 8, 2010)
- The J. Paul Getty Museum at the Getty Center (Los Angeles), June 1 to August 8, 2010