Gunther Sander, German, 1907 - 1987
Open Content images tend to be large in file-size. To avoid potential data charges from your carrier, we recommend making sure your device is connected to a Wi-Fi network before downloading.
This image is available for download, without charge, under the Getty's Open Content Program.
Not currently on view
August Sander (German, 1876 - 1964)
Germany (Place created)
negative 1912; print 1920s
Gelatin silver print
16.8 x 17.7 cm (6 5/8 x 6 15/16 in.)
© J. Paul Getty Trust
A commissioned portrait, this photograph is an official record of two young men from Nistertal, Germany, documented without critical intent. According to Sander's typology, the men's physical condition immediately marks them as outcasts, representatives of a "late" stage of social evolution.
August Sander: Photographs from the J. Paul Getty Museum (September 22 to October 30, 1988)
- Stiftung Bahnhof Rolandseck, September 22 to October 30, 1988
August Sander: Faces of the German People (May 21 to November 3, 1991)
- The J. Paul Getty Museum, (Malibu), May 21 to July 28, 1991
- J.B. Speed Art Museum, (Louisville), September 17 to November 3, 1991
Photographers of Genius (March 16 to July 25, 2004)
- The J. Paul Getty Museum at the Getty Center, (Los Angeles), March 16 to July 25, 2004
August Sander's People of the 20th Century (November 16, 2007 to September 14, 2008)
- Art Gallery of New South Wales, (Sydney), November 16, 2007 to February 3, 2008
- The J. Paul Getty Museum at the Getty Center, (Los Angeles), May 6 to September 14, 2008