The J. Paul Getty Museum

Pair of Candelabra with a Dancer

Object Details

Title:

Pair of Candelabra with a Dancer

Artist/Maker:

Unknown

Culture:

Etruscan

Place:

Vulci, Etruria (Place Created)

Date:

first half of 5th century B.C.

Medium:

Bronze

Object Number:

96.AC.129

Credit Line:

Gift of Barbara and Lawrence Fleischman

See more

See less

Object Description

Made as a pair, these elaborately designed candelabra are topped with statuettes of dancing youths. The youths hold up krotala, castanet-like instruments, with which they accompany their dancing. Each youth wears only a short cloak draped around his shoulders and the fluttering garment emphasizes the graceful movement. The detailed musculature of the youths, particularly in the chest and abdomen, was inspired by Greek prototypes. The statuettes stand on a circular base atop the shaft of the candelabra, surrounded by the branching arms. Supported on a tripod base decorated with lion's paws and palmettes, each tapering shaft is fluted and a series of moldings marks the bottom and top. The various elements of the candelabra were cast separately and the pieces assembled and welded together. Unlike the Greeks, who used oil lamps for illumination, the Etruscans used candles, which were stuck on the ends of the candelabra's arms. Etruscan candelabra seem often to have been made and used in pairs. This pair, although nearly identical, shows slight differences in size and detail.

Provenance
Provenance
-

Barbara Piasecka Johnson, Polish, 1937 - 2013 (Princeton, New Jersey)

- 1987

Robin Symes (London, England), sold to Barbara and Lawrence Fleischman, 1987.

1987 - 1996

Barbara Fleischman and Lawrence Fleischman, American, 1925 - 1997 (New York, New York), donated to the J. Paul Getty Museum, 1996.

Exhibitions
Exhibitions
A Passion for Antiquities: Ancient Art from the Collection of Barbara and Lawrence Fleischman (October 13, 1994 to April 23, 1995)
  • The J. Paul Getty Museum (Malibu), October 13, 1994 to January 15, 1995
  • The Cleveland Museum of Art (Cleveland), February 14 to April 23, 1995