This image is available for download, without charge, under the Getty's Open Content Program.
Open Content images tend to be large in file-size. To avoid potential data charges from your carrier, we recommend making sure your device is connected to a Wi-Fi network before downloading.
Not currently on view
Initial E: David Lifting up His Soul to God
Franco dei Russi (Italian, active about 1453 - 1482)
Ferrara, Italy (Place Created)
Tempera colors, gold leaf, and ink on parchment
Ms. 99 (2007.30), recto
Leaf: 71.1 × 51.4 cm (28 × 20 1/4 in.)
David kneels in a mountainous landscape set against a darkened sky. He holds his harp in his left hand while raising the small white figure of his soul up to God, at upper left, with his right hand. Winged children, known as putti, climb through the colorful curling vines that fill the margins of the page. This impressive leaf is the frontispiece of the first volume of an antiphonal belonging to a famous series of at least fifteen choir books commissioned by Cardinal Bessarion (about 1399/1408-1472), who was a papal representative in Bologna between 1450 and 1455, and whose coat of arms appears in the lower margin of this page.
Treasures of a Lost Art: Italian Manuscript Painting of the Middle Ages and Renaissance (June 7 to August 31, 2003)
- California Palace of the Legion of Honor (San Francisco), June 7 to August 31, 2003
Cosmè Tura e Francesco del Cossa: L'arte a Ferrara nell'età di Borso d'Este (September 23, 2007 to January 6, 2008)
- Palazzo dei Diamanti (Ferrara), September 23, 2007 to January 6, 2008
Rare Finds: Ten Years of Collecting Manuscripts (February 12 to April 20, 2008)
- The J. Paul Getty Museum at the Getty Center (Los Angeles), February 12 to April 20, 2008
Temptation and Salvation: The Psalms of King David (June 9 to August 16, 2009)
- The J. Paul Getty Museum at the Getty Center (Los Angeles), June 9 to August 16, 2009
Renaissance Splendors of the Northern Italian Courts (March 31 to June 21, 2015)
- The J. Paul Getty Museum at the Getty Center (Los Angeles), March 31 to June 21, 2015
Traversing the Globe through Illuminated Manuscripts (January 22 to June 26, 2016)
- The J. Paul Getty Museum at the Getty Center (Los Angeles), January 22 to June 26, 2016