This image is available for download, without charge, under the Getty's Open Content Program.
Open Content images tend to be large in file-size. To avoid potential data charges from your carrier, we recommend making sure your device is connected to a Wi-Fi network before downloading.
Not currently on view
Initial A: Pentecost
Attributed to Stefano da Verona (Italian (Lombard), 1374 - after 1438)
Lombardy, Italy (Place Created)
about 1430 - 1435
Tempera and gold on parchment
Ms. 95, recto
Leaf: 11.9 × 12.5 cm (4 11/16 × 4 15/16 in.)
Christ's Apostles gather around the Virgin Mary in a tight circle, ready to receive the Holy Spirit, which descends in the form of a white dove from the figure of God the Father above. The entire scene takes place within an initial A, formed by the curved bodies of two dragons intertwined at their necks. Stefano da Verona's use of a lively palette of softly blended colors, and his delicate application of gold highlights to show details in the landscape, are hallmarks of his painting style.
Illuminated Books of the Middle Ages and Renaissance (January 27 to March 13, 1949)
- The Baltimore Museum of Art (Baltimore), January 27 to March 13, 1949
Treasures of a Lost Art: Italian Manuscript Painting of the Middle Ages and Renaissance (June 7 to August 31, 2003)
- California Palace of the Legion of Honor (San Francisco), June 7 to August 31, 2003
Masterpieces in Miniature: Italian Manuscript Illumination from the J. Paul Getty Museum (September 25, 2005 to January 2, 2006)
- National Gallery of Art (Washington, D.C.), September 25, 2005 to January 2, 2006
Rare Finds: Ten Years of Collecting Manuscripts (February 12 to April 20, 2008)
- The J. Paul Getty Museum at the Getty Center (Los Angeles), February 12 to April 20, 2008
Renaissance Splendors of the Northern Italian Courts (March 31 to June 21, 2015)
- The J. Paul Getty Museum at the Getty Center (Los Angeles), March 31 to June 21, 2015