This image is available for download, without charge, under the Getty's Open Content Program.
Open Content images tend to be large in file-size. To avoid potential data charges from your carrier, we recommend making sure your device is connected to a Wi-Fi network before downloading.
Not currently on view
Master of the Dominican Effigies (Italian, active about 1325 - about 1355)
Florence, Italy (Place Created)
Tempera, gold leaf, and ink on parchment
Ms. 80, verso
Leaf: 43 × 31.7 cm (16 15/16 × 12 1/2 in.)
This miniature depicts the event in which the Holy Spirit descends on Christ's disciples, endowing them with the ability to speak foreign languages and preach throughout the world. Christ's disciples react to the event in diverse ways: one reads from a book, some hold up a finger in exclamation, one confers with a friend, and still others look up in silent awe. The scene takes place not inside a house as recounted in the Bible but underneath a Gothic tabernacle with a starred vault, which lends it an almost liturgical or ceremonial tone.
The miniature comes from a laudario of the Company of Sant'Agnese. The laudario contained music to be performed by a group of pious laypeople, in this case a group devoted to Saint Agnes. The members gathered together for worship and also performed charitable works.
Masterpieces in Miniature: Italian Manuscripts from the Middle Ages and Renaissance (March 29 to June 12, 2005)
- The J. Paul Getty Museum at the Getty Center (Los Angeles), March 29 to June 12, 2005
Masterpieces in Miniature: Italian Manuscript Illumination from the J. Paul Getty Museum (September 25, 2005 to January 2, 2006)
- National Gallery of Art (Washington, D.C.), September 25, 2005 to January 2, 2006
Music for the Masses: Illuminated Choir Books (August 14 to October 28, 2007)
- The J. Paul Getty Museum at the Getty Center (Los Angeles), August 14 to October 28, 2007
Rare Finds: Ten Years of Collecting Manuscripts (February 12 to April 20, 2008)
- The J. Paul Getty Museum at the Getty Center (Los Angeles), February 12 to April 20, 2008
Florence at the Dawn of the Renaissance: Painting and Illumination, 1300-1350 (November 13, 2012 to June 16, 2013)
- The J. Paul Getty Museum at the Getty Center (Los Angeles), November 13, 2012 to February 10, 2013
- Art Gallery of Ontario (Toronto), March 16 to June 16, 2013