Open Content images tend to be large in file-size. To avoid potential data charges from your carrier, we recommend making sure your device is connected to a Wi-Fi network before downloading.
This image is available for download, without charge, under the Getty's Open Content Program.
Currently on view at: Getty Center, Museum East Pavilion, Gallery E102
Leda and the Swan
Massimiliano Soldani-Benzi (Italian, 1656 - 1740)
Italy (Place created)
designed before 1717; cast about 1725
Bronze on grey-green marble bases with bronze mounts
62.5 cm (24 5/8 in.)
Andromeda & Leda
Enamored of the beautiful Leda, the god Jupiter seduced her in the form of a swan. In this bronze version of the mythological scene, Leda and the swan are suggestively posed: the arc of the lovers' embracing arms and wings and the curvature of their bodies, poised before union, increases the erotic suspense. The swath of drapery trapped between Leda's thighs, as well as her movement drawing the swan down towards her, hint at the inevitable moment of union.
This tale of seduction, mentioned in
The contrasting textures of Leda's smooth voluptuous skin and the swan's feathers hint at Massimiliano Soldani Benzi's technical virtuosity with bronze casting. He made this Ledaas a pendant to another bronze group, Andromeda and the Sea Monster.
1725 - still in 1767
Possibly Senator Francesco Giovacchino Buondelmonti, 1689 - 1774 (Florence)
Julius Goldschmidt (London, England), sold to Gerald Burdon, June 1964.
1964 - 1997
Gerald Burdon (Onslow Square, London, England), sold through Joanna Barnes Fine Arts, London to the J. Paul Getty Museum, 1997.
Il Trionfo delle Bell'Arti (1767) (p. 13.)
- SS. Annunziata, (Florence), 1767
The Twilight of the Medici: Late Baroque Art in Florence, 1670 - 1743 (1974) (pp. 108-109, no. 71.)
- The Detroit Institute of Arts, (Detroit), March 27 to June 2, 1974
- Palazzo Pitti, (Florence), June 28 to September 30, 1974
Princely Patrons and Enlightened Entrepreneurs (November 6, 2005 to April 1, 2006) (305)
- Liechtenstein Museum, (Vienna), November 6, 2005 to January 29, 2006