The J. Paul Getty Museum

Wineglass

Object Details

Title:

Wineglass

Artist/Maker:

Unknown

Culture:

Italian

Place:

Façon de Venise (or possibly), Tuscany, Italy; Murano, Venice, Veneto, Italy (Place Created)

Date:

1600–1650

Medium:

Free-blown colorless (slightly gray) glass with diamond-point engraving

Object Number:

84.DK.541

Dimensions:

14.9 × 13 cm (5 7/8 × 5 1/8 in.)

See more

See less

Object Description

Nothing is known about Doctor Pietro Lessio, probably the man for whom this wine glass was made. His name is diamond-point engraved in a band around the lip. On the bowl below his name, delicately engraved flowers, foliage, dots, and small birds surround a crowned, double-headed eagle. It is both unusual and interesting that an Italian name would be included with the Austrian symbol of the double-headed eagle.

Exhibitions
Exhibitions
Three Great Centuries of Venetian Glass: A Special Exhibition (1958)
  • The Corning Museum of Glass (Corning), 1958
Bibliography
Bibliography

Three Great Centuries of Venetian Glass, exh. cat. (Corning, New York: The Corning Museum, 1958), p. 90, no. 92.

"Acquisitions/1984." The J. Paul Getty Museum Journal 13 (1985), p. 246, no. 195.

"Recent Important Acquisitions Made by Public and Private Collections in the United States and Abroad." Journal of Glass Studies 28 (1986), p. 107, no. 31.

Bremer-David, Charissa, et al. Decorative Arts: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue of the Collections of the J. Paul Getty Museum (Malibu: J. Paul Getty Museum, 1993), p. 219, no. 383.

Lanmon, D.P. The Robert Lehman Collection, vol. 11: Glass (New York: The Metropolitan Museum of Art, 1993), no. 69, fig. 1.

Theuerkauff-Liederwald, A.-E. Venezianisches Glas der Veste Coburg (Lingen, 1994), pp. 309, 318.

Hess, Catherine, and Timothy Husband. European Glass in the J. Paul Getty Museum (Los Angeles: J. Paul Getty Museum, 1997), pp. 122-25, no. 32.

Wilson, Gillian, and Catherine Hess. Summary Catalogue of European Decorative Arts in the J. Paul Getty Museum (Los Angeles: J. Paul Getty Museum, 2001), p. 239, no. 494.