The Arts of Fire: Islamic Influences on the Italian Renaissance (May 4 to September 5, 2004)
- The J. Paul Getty Museum at the Getty Center, (Los Angeles), May 4 to September 4, 2004
Open Content images tend to be large in file-size. To avoid potential data charges from your carrier, we recommend making sure your device is connected to a Wi-Fi network before downloading.
This image is available for download, without charge, under the Getty's Open Content Program.
Currently on view at: Getty Center, Museum North Pavilion, Gallery N102
Venice, Veneto, Italy (Place created)
about 1500 - 1520
Free-blown colorless glass with gold leaf, enamel, and applied decoration
31.3 x 17.5 cm (12 5/16 x 6 7/8 in.)
From the shape of dried gourds used by travelers to carry drinking water, metalworkers patterned their versions of these flasks. From the metal examples, with their tall tapering necks and flat oval bodies, artists in glass and ceramics made their own purely decorative versions of these pilgrim flasks. The gilded knobs attached to the sides above and below the bulge of the body imitate the loops that would have originally attached the flask to the pilgrim's side; glassworkers retained them as a decorative reminder of the vessel's earlier function.
On each side of the flask, two boys dressed in tunics, sashes, and high boots stand in a hilly landscape surrounded by oversized flowers, with tufts of grass, cattails, and other plants in the foreground. The boys hold a blank shield between them. Although the source is unknown, the boys may have been copied from a contemporary engraving. The vessel was probably produced for general stock in a glass workshop, with the coat of arms of its purchaser painted later on demand.
Robinson, J.C. Notice of the Principal Works of Art in the Collection of Hollingworth Magniac, Esq. (London, 1861), p. 82, no. 152.
"Acquisitions/1984." The J. Paul Getty Museum Journal 13 (1985), p. 246, no. 185.
"Recent Important Acquisitions Made by Public and Private Collections in the United States and Abroad." Journal of Glass Studies 28 (1986), pp. 102-03, no. 13.