Though he was born in Ghent, Belgium, Flemish sculptor and architect Hans Mont worked in an Italian Mannerist style in Italy, Austria, Bohemia, and Germany. In 1572 he collaborated with the internationally renowned artist Giambologna in Italy. Three years later he had returned to the north, where he worked as a court artist to Emperor Maximilian II in Vienna. There he created giant stucco figures as well as wall and ceiling decorations. Mont also designed a large triumphal arch for Emperor Rudolf II's ceremonial entry into Vienna in 1576.In early 1580, Mont lost an eye playing tennis and had to give up sculpture. He found employment as a master builder in Ulm, Germany, where he worked on the city's fortifications. None of his documented works survive, although several works in both bronze and stone have been attributed to him.